Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Idols in your life?

24So he said, “You have taken away my gods which I made, and the priest, and you have gone away. Now what more do I have? How can you say to me, ‘What ails you?’ ” Judges 18:24 (NKJV)

This is my reading for today.  If you were just reading this you would probably wonder what either I or the scriptures were talking about.  We have to look back at the full chapter to understand what it is this passage is saying. 

Micah made idols and hired a priest to run his personal religion. When the men of Dan took his idols and priest, nothing remained. What an empty spiritual condition! An idol is anything that takes God's place in a person's life. Some people invest all their energy in pursuing money, success, possessions, or a career. If these idols are taken away, only an empty shell is left. The only way to protect yourself against such loss is to invest your life in the living God, whom you can never lose.

I can see that right now in my life. There are so many things trying to take my attention and mind set off of The Lord. I catch myself on a daily basis stopping and asking God to help me in this area. I want nothing more than to serve The Lord. I want people to be able to look back on my life and say that I served The Lord. Its very easy to allow things to become idols in your life if you are not carful. It starts with small things and then it turns to larger things. Next thing you know your life is consumed with other things besides God.

I find that the small things are the things that get me the most. Things like phones, gadgets, and even work. Either church work, as hard as that may seem, or my secular job becomes my idol. making sure everything is done and nothing is left to question I sometimes forget that God has given me both of my jobs and the ministry that I am in. He wants the glory and the honor and He wants to be first in my life. Everything else is a byproduct of serving Him and placing Him first in your life.

I don't want my life to be anything but an example of the testimony of The Lord Jesus Christ. I can only accomplish that by allowing Him to be first in my life and allowing nothing to take the place of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment