Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

Honor

‘Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may be well with you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you. (Deuteronomy 5:16 NKJV)

This was my reading for yesterday. I read it but just didn't have time to write about it. This is probably one of the commandments I look at now at the age of 31 and wish I would have understood this more in my teenage years.

Now being a parent I understand all of those things my parents were talking about when I was living under their roof. Respect, honor, thinking of other, and common courtesy. These are things that my parents taught me and even at an early age didn't always follow but yet these qualities were instilled me. Now that I have kids I want to instill these same attributes in them now just by what I say but by my actions as well.

God was saying to do this not because He thought it was just a good idea, He was saying this because through honoring our parents we ultimately get to honor The Lord. How? By doing what He says. This is obedience. God gives you a promise as well, that your days will be long on this earth and that it may be well with you in the land that He gives you. What does that mean? That means that one your days will be long on the earth by doing this. Two I believe it mean that Gods grace and mercy will be with you wherever you are.

Even though I am older now and my parents are older in age, I still want to make sure that I am honoring them and following Gods direction. No matter what we will always have to look to Him for answers and God gives us this answer. How do we live a long life? Honor your father and mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment