Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Making time useful

So I get up this morning and realize that I have not done my bible study in a few days. I noticed that I have done a lot of other things though. I have mowed the yard, taken a weekend trip, enjoyed time with the family, but have not done my quiet time. What's wrong with me and what's wrong with this picture? Time!

Distractions, and being busy, and staying on the move are just a few things that I have found that keeps,me from spending time with my Lord. I have noticed that if I don't have my quiet time with The Lord on a daily basis then I am worthless for that day and not useful to anyone. This past weekend was great and I loved every bit it. God allowed me to have this precious time with my family and I didn't even thank Him. Everything that I do and say and even feel, God directs me. My family, myself, but God most of all deserves better and I want to give them the best of who I am but I can't do that if I'm not in His word.

If I didn't have God in my life living in me I wouldn't know where I would be or what I would be doing. My wife is so supportive and caring and she keeps me on track when I mess up or say or do things that I shouldn't. She deserves the same in return. The same support, the same love, the same spiritual guidance and I pray that God uses me to be that for her. Also for my kids. I can't raise them in a Godly manner if I'm not seeking His face. In all that I have said thus far I mean that I can't do anything and be what I have been called to be if I am not in Gods word but also if I'm not giving God the time that He deserves and expects.

If I allow things to interfere with my walk with Him, whether it be work, hobbies, and yes, even family, then what good am I for Him and His kingdom. I love my family and I know they understand that God has to come first in all things. My time in His word is vital and if that is not given to Him on a daily basis then I'm not growing and I can't be there to help my family grow spiritually either.

This is what I read today.
Psalm 109:4 (NKJV)
4 In return for my love they are my accusers,But I give myself to prayer.

David was angry at being attacked by evil people who slandered him and lied. Yet David remained a friend and a man of prayer. While we must hate evil and work to overcome it, we must love everyone, including those who do evil, because God loves them. We are called to hate the sin, but love the person. Only through God's strength will we be able to follow David's example.

I want to have a heart that allows me to think on this principle even more. I want to love the sinner and hate the sin. I don't want to judge and be condemning. I want The Lord to direct my thoughts and allow Him to do the judging. If we get to the people instead of their sin then more would come to know Christ because we love them and not judge their sin. I pray that through being in Gods word and spending more and more time with Him that I can have a heart and the strength as David did. Praise be to God!


No comments:

Post a Comment