Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Remind me Lord of the time You give


Psalm 39:4-5

New King James Version (NKJV)
Lord, make me to know my end,
And what is the measure of my days,
That I may know how frail I am.
Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths,
And my age is as nothing before You;
Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor. Selah


I like how the NLT puts it, 

4“Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered how fleeting my life is. 5You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath."

To me, when I read this, in both version, it brings me to the realization that I am but a mere man and I am not God.  Time is not on my side in the grand schema of things while I'm on this earth.  God hold time in the palm of His hand and His word says that the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.  In thinking about our lives here on earth we are called to be set apart and separate from the world.  As Christians, we are here to serve God and praise His name.  While our time here on earth is short, we can look forward to one day glorifying God and praising His name for eternity.  

We had a soloist, Angela Meeks, sing a song yesterday that spoke exactly to this.  The name of the song was "I Bowed on my Knees".  Wonderful song.  She did an amazing job.  The song speaks the truth though.  One Day when we get to heaven its going to be so glorious.  Right now it's just to much for us to even fathom.  I know the only thing that is going to be important in heaven is seeing Jesus and praising His name.   

Life is short no matter how long we live. If there is something important we want to do, we must not put it off for a better day. Ask yourself, "If I had only six months to live, what would I do?" Tell someone that you love him or her? Deal with an undisciplined area in your life? Tell someone about Jesus? Because life is short, don't neglect what is truly important and the time that God Himself has given you.

No comments:

Post a Comment