Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Broken but Yearning


Psalm 42:5-6 (New King James Version)



5 Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him For the help of His countenance. 6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me; Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan, And from the heights of Hermon, From the Hill Mizar.

The NASB states it like this...

5 Why are you in despair, O my soul ? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him For the help of His presence6 O my God, my soul is in despair within me; Therefore remember You from the land of the Jordan And the peaks of Hermon, from Mount Mizar.

Depression is one of the most common emotional ailments. One antidote for depression is to meditate on the record of God's goodness to his people. This will take your mind off the present situation and give hope that it will improve. It will focus your thoughts on God's ability to help you rather than on your inability to help yourself. When you feel depressed, take advantage of this psalm's antidepressant. Read the Bible's accounts of God's goodness, and meditate on them.

This doesn't have to when you are feeling depressed.  If you are the kind of person who doesn't get depressed but you get aggravated about thing or you allow things to fester in your mind and in your heart, then this also will help you.  Being in the presence of God and meditating on His word can take your mind to heavenly places and take you out of the filth of this world.  God's word is a refresher and a source of joy and peace and it enables you to get out of whatever depressed, aggravated, and or terrible state of mind you may be in.  

In my life I try not to worry about a lot of things.  Someone asked me the question, "Why don't you worry or fret about certain things?".   I told them I know God is in control and He is going to take care of everything.  What is important to know is that I am who I am.  I do worry about things and it is easier to just say those words.  The hard thing to do is to actually believe them.  This is where trust and faith in God's promises come in.  Even though I worry about things, I still say those words because I know that God is going to work through whatever situation I am in and fulfill His promise.  I just have to be willing to allow Him to work through me and the situation I am in so that He gets the glory no matter how I am "feeling" at that time.  I have to die to self, get out of the way, and let God live through me to accomplish His will.  To God be the Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment